Thursday, February 4, 2010

Computers and Family History

One of the most exciting applications of computer science for me has been working with family history. For one of my classes my friend and I are creating a website to help our family collaborate and share their knowledge of our family history. So far you can see our progress at www.fisherfamilywiki.co.cc. This website is a great example of free tools that are available that anyone can use to benefit their family. We chose a wiki so that even people with basic computer skills can contribute. I am also working to create a document to help others who are interested to help them make their own family wiki. If you are interested you can email me or leave a comment and I will send you that document. My experience has shown me that people are ready and willing to contribute so don't be afraid to start.

1 comment:

  1. Just a bit of clarification. The fisherfamilywiki site uses a mediawiki extension that is currently under development. The version on the site was really just a proof of concept and not really a working example.

    ReplyDelete